Like I promised, I’m bringing you yet another soup recipe and, friend, I’m coming at you every Tuesday this month with a new soup recipe, so settle in. There’s nothing better than a piping hot bowl of soup, chili, or stew on a frozen winter evening. I love that soup warms you up from the inside out, comforts and soothes, and also satisfies your belly. This Slow Cooker White Chicken Chili recipe is bean free (I love beans, but I know lots of people don’t) and full of flavor and warm spices that give just enough kick to satisfy a craving but not too much that you can’t enjoy the chili.
To make this chili, start by adding a diced onion, some bell pepper, a jalapeño, garlic, and plenty of spices to a slow cooker. I used cumin, oregano, chili powder, and a little salt and pepper.
Lay a couple of chicken breasts right over the top of the vegetables.
Then add in some chicken broth and cover the slow cooker with the lid. Cook it on low for about seven hours or until the chicken is done.
Remove the chicken and shred it using two forks. If you have a stand mixer, you can also shred it up using that, saving some time.
Return the chicken to the slow cooker and add in some coconut milk.
Turn the slow cooker to high and let it cook for about another fifteen to twenty minutes until everything is heated through.
Once the chili is ready, I like to serve it in nice deep bowls with a couple lime wedges, fresh cilantro, and maybe even a piece of cornbread. One of my favorite things about this chili is that it can set on warm after it’s done and you can help yourself whenever you feel like it. Guests and friends coming and going can enjoy it as well. We’ve always got people coming and going, so being able to serve them a nice hot meal is extra special.
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 1 red bell pepper, finely diced
- 1 jalapeño, finely diced
- 5 cloves garlic, finely diced
- 2 1/2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 can (14 ounces) coconut milk
- limes, optional
- cilantro, optional
- sour cream, optional
- tortilla strips, optional
- Place onion, bell pepper, jalapeño and garlic in a slow cooker and stir together.
- Add cumin, oregano, chili powder, salt, and pepper and stir to combine.
- Place chicken breast over vegetables.
- Pour chicken stock over top.
- Cover slow cooker and cook on low for seven to eight hours or until chicken is cooked.
- Remove chicken from slow cooker and shred with two forks or using a stand mixer.
- Transfer shredded chicken back into slow cooker and add coconut milk.
- Stir well to combine and cover slow cooker.
- All all ingredients to cook together for another thirty minutes before serving.
- Serve with lime wedges, cilantro, sour cream, and tortilla chips.
Original recipe from http://therealfoodrds.com/slow-cooker-white-chicken-chili/